Safe & secure internet
on the Managed Network
2,400+ NZ schools
Blocked >550 million
cyber security threats*
* From May 2019 – May 2020
Safe & secure internet – what’s included?
We deliver a fast and reliable connection - and make sure that each school can access all the internet they need to support their tamariki learning online.
Helps protect tamariki online by restricting access to inappropriate content. Filtering can also be customised for each school depending on their needs. Schools and kura can also get reporting from their Web Filtering to gain valuable insights into how the internet is being used, and can help create good digital citizenship.
Our next generation Firewall prevents online threats and malicious activity from reaching school systems and devices. It acts as a wall between the internet and the school’s network, allowing the good stuff through, while blocking the bad.
Our DNS servers add an additional safety net on top of our Web Filtering and Firewall to further help block unwanted content and minimise the impact of online threats (such as malware, ransomware, phishing scams and VPNs) to a school’s internet connection and automatically enables SafeSearch.
This added benefit filters out adult content in search results from Google, Yahoo! and Bing.
*Requires DNS Threat Protection to be in use.
This is automatically included as part of every school’s connection and helps protect schools from DDoS (Distributed Denial of Service) attacks, which is when someone deliberately bombards the school internet connection causing it to crash.
Want to supercharge your protection?
To protect tamariki online even further, schools and kura can choose to add these additional add-ons to their N4L internet connection.
+ Enhanced filtering and Reporting
Schools can get greater visibility, security and management of users on their network by using HTTPS Inspection and Identity Awareness. When used together, these options significantly improve the school’s ability to protect their tamariki while learning online.
With HTTPS Inspection:
- Reports showing online usage are able to detail specific URLs that have been visited, helping staff to get a better understanding of which websites students are going to assist with pastoral care.
- Allow encrypted traffic to be inspected before it touches the network – this greatly heightens a school’s ability to block malware and viruses.
- The school’s web filtering goes beyond simply blocking at the domain level (e.g. www.badwebsite.com) and filters down to the URL level (e.g. www.goodwebsite.com/badcontent), HTTPS Inspection can also be used to granularity control certain websites, like allowing YouTube but being able to block uploads or commenting on videos.
With Identity Awareness:
- Reports with usernames can help to identify at risk students or reward positive behaviour.
- Schools can tailor filtering policies down to specific groups (such as year groups or classes), or down to an individual student.
- Can also be used to see who at the school has an infected device so it can be quickly fixed.
+ Secure Remote Access
Our secure and fully funded Remote Access services gives kaiako a secure way of accessing the school’s onsite network, supporting them to be able to work from anywhere, anytime.
+ Communicating with whānau
N4L’s Mail Relay lets schools and kura keep in touch with their whānau community by enabling them to send bulk emails.
It’s important to remember that there’s no way to guarantee 100% protection from online threats or inappropriate content. There are other measures schools can take to help keep their online learning environments safe and secure, such as promoting digital citizenship and making sure that systems and software are up to date.
Depending on a school’s setup, N4L’s additional options can also be used to provide greater protection.